Smoke Cleansing & Smudging
Types of Smoke Cleansing Herbs:
Smoke Cleansing Ritual
Fire-proof shell or bowl
- Clean and unclutter your home
- Open all the drawers and cabinets
- Open windows
- Pick a candle color based on your intention
- Ground and Center yourself
- Light candle and set intention
- Light sage
- Blow out stick leaving just embers to burn
- Cleans yourself with the smoke (from top of head to bottom of foot)
- Repeat your mantra or prayer(internally or aloud) as you go, envisioning the smoke is clearing you of any and all lingering negativity.
- Ring a bell (gets spirits attention)
- Start in lowest space and move clockwise; from room to room using a smudging feather or fan. Waft smoke into all corners and shadow spaces. Cleanse where walls meet ceilings, in-front of mirrors. Then direct smoke out through windows and doorways.
- Repeat your mantra or prayer (internally or aloud) as you go. Visualizing the smoke cleansing the whole house pushing all negativity out the windows.
- Once you’re finished extinguish the smudge stick into the sand/dirt or fire proof bowl.
- Then take the ashes of the burned herbs and return it to the Earth while giving thanks for the sage’s healing.
Credit: House Clearing Ritual